Monday, November 24, 2008

A Gentle Holiday Reminder from Paul Pomeroy

Dear Friends,For the last several years I've had the opportunity to visit Downes Elementary (located in District One) as Principal for a Day. I look forward to it as it's a great opportunity for me to see all that Principal Schwartz and her incredible team of dedicated teachers and staff and doing to improve the lives of the children in our community.

During my visit this past month I was met not only by smiling children and educational success stories, but also with the harsh reality that many families in the Downes community are struggling like never before. We all know how the economy has hit each of our own lives, but there are others in our local community who are hurting even more.

Also during my visit, Principal Schwartz told me about their "Mitten Tree". On a tree in the hallway are cutout paper mittens with a list of items that needy Downes families are desperate for during the holiday season. What struck me was the fact that the list of items contained no gifts or luxuries, but instead only the staples--shoes, gloves, underwear and socks. Local members of the Downes family pick off a mitten, purchase the item and return it back to the school. During a follow-up trip last week I was heartened to see that already so many of the mittens had been plucked from the tree. Ours truly is a generous and caring community.I asked Principal Schwartz how I could help. She told me that not only are the families in need of the staples mentioned above, but they are also working hard to keep food on the table. In past years, some members of the community have generously donated gift cards from stores such as Acme that Downes adds to the package of clothing that they deliver to these local families.

I know this is a difficult time, and I'm sure many of you already have charities that you support with regularity. But if you are interested and able to join me in purchasing a gift card of two to support this effort, I would greatly appreciate it. Any denomination--$10, $15 or $25 would be a big help. You can email me back when you have the card and I will gladly pick it up at your home and deliver it to Downes. Or you can drop one off on your own at the main office. If you are a local business or organization looking for a cause to support, please consider this one.

Keep in mind that these are Newark families right here among us. They are children attending Downes Elementary who will be getting only the bare necessities during the holidays this year. Your support truly will stay local. The deadline is the end of the first week of December. Thank you for considering this.I wish you and yours all the best of luck and happiness as we enter the holiday season.

--Paul

No comments: